Just as every woman is unique, so is her abortion experience. Many women report feeling relieved immediately following their abortions. It’s only later, in weeks, months, or years, that they may struggle mentally with their choice.
Many factors determine how you might respond. Learn about the different methods, side effects, and potential risks, including mental health effects, from a member of our team.
Does Abortion Affect Women’s Mental Health?
According to a report from the National Library of Medicine, there is a direct link between abortion and some women’s mental health issues. This study found the following:
- Women who have had an abortion have more mental health problems than women who have not had an abortion.
- Abortion directly affects the mental health of at least some women.
- Women with pre-existing mental health problems, like anxiety or depression, are more likely to struggle after an abortion.
What Are the Mental Health Problems?
Some women have experienced the following after their abortion:
- Feelings of loss
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
What Are the Reasons Why Some Women Struggle?
The Task Force on Mental Health and Abortion determined that the following experiences were some of the reasons women struggled with their decision:
- Pressure from others to terminate the pregnancy
- Lack of social support from others
- Need for secrecy
- Exposure to anti-abortion picketing
- A prior history of mental health problems
- Personality factors such as low self-esteem
Will I Be Affected Mentally?
You may feel immediate relief following your abortion. But as time passes, certain life events may trigger your memory. Doctors encourage women to speak with their healthcare provider first to evaluate their physical and mental health.
Have you struggled previously with anxiety or depression? Are you being pressured to have an abortion? You should thoroughly discuss these questions and others before you make a decision.
How Can ReachOut Pregnancy Center Help Me?
Although we do not perform or refer for abortion, we can give you factual, scientific data about abortion procedures, side effects, and potential risks, both physically and mentally.
Set up a no-cost appointment to talk with us about abortion. We’re here to help you make the best decision for your future.