Although abortion is still legal in Ohio, there are many restrictions in place that women should be aware of.
What Are Ohio’s Abortion Laws?
According to the Ohio Laws & Administrative Rules, Legislative Service Commission, the following abortion restrictions are in place in Ohio:
- At about 6 weeks, if there is a detectable heartbeat, abortion is then banned.
- The patient must give informed consent.
- If a minor, a 24-hour notice must be provided to a patient’s guardian. This notice may be overridden with a judge’s approval.
- If a minor, they must receive guardian consent or may override this with a judge’s approval.
- The patient must be provided with information regarding public funding assistance if she continues with the pregnancy.
- The patient must be given the opportunity to listen and visually see a fetal heartbeat if present.
- According to section 9.04, there is no public funding for elective abortions.
- Abortion is prohibited if seeking to end a pregnancy based on a genetic disorder diagnosis such as Down syndrome.
What Are the Risks of Abortion I Should Discuss With a Provider?
Risks may vary depending on the type of abortion you are considering. According to the Mayo Clinic and Cleveland Clinic, there are several risks you should be aware of:
- Abnormally heavy bleeding
- Injury to reproductive organs and subsequent long-term effects
When considering whether or not abortion is right for you, please discuss these risks and any other concerns you have with a trusted physician or care center. Empowering yourself with knowledge is essential when understanding your options.
What Are My Next Steps?
It can be challenging to understand what restrictions apply to you and what they mean as far as your options. We encourage you to reach out to us today at no cost to gain the help and knowledge you deserve while making your decision.
If you have already begun ending a pregnancy via the Abortion Pill and no longer wish to terminate, please see how you can reverse the effects of your abortion. Time is of the essence in this simple treatment, so please do not wait.
Reach Out Pregnancy Center believes in supporting you on your journey. Contact us today.