The overturning of Roe v. Wade has had an impact on every state. This new ruling allows every state, including Ohio, to decide what abortion laws they will institute within their governments. Essentially this gives the power back to each state and its citizens to make decisions on this themselves.
What are Ohio’s Current Abortion Laws?
According to sections listed under the Ohio Legislative Service Commission, Chapter 2919, Offenses Against the Family it states the following are existing laws on abortion:
- Informed consent must be provided by the woman receiving the abortion
- 24-hour notice must be given to a minor’s parent, guardian, or affidavits
- If the minor wishes not to give a parent, guardian, or affidavit notification, she may bypass this with a judge’s approval.
- Parental or guardian consent is necessary or may be bypassed with a judge’s approval.
- The woman must be furnished with materials educating her with publicly funded assistance if she chooses to continue with the pregnancy.
- If there is a detectable heartbeat, the woman must be given the option to view or hear it, then typically allow 24 hours to pass.
- Abortions are banned after a detectable heartbeat (usually around six weeks).
- There is no public funding for non-therapeutic abortions according to section 9.04
- No abortion is given for the diagnosis of genetic disorders such as down syndrome.
What Should I Know if I am Considering an Abortion?
As with any procedure, it is essential to know its associated risks. To understand your next step, we recommend meeting with a trusted provider or center to discuss your health history, receive a pregnancy test to confirm pregnancy, and receive an ultrasound. Some risks to discuss with your physician or a nurse at our pregnancy center are:
- Heavy and prolonged bleeding
- Damage to reproductive tissues with long-term effects
- Incomplete abortion
Who Can I Talk to, and What are My Resources?
We understand this can be a difficult and emotional decision. We are here to help you every step of the way, to assist you in making a choice you can feel comfortable with.Contact us today for a no-cost appointment to discuss options and receive a pregnancy test and ultrasound to understand your options. Your life matters, your experience matters. Allow us to serve you, and together we will help you move forward.